Author Topic: Best language?  (Read 5643 times)

Rowan

• User
Best language?
« on: July 06, 2006, 02:10:34 AM »
Hey,

Two simple questions.

What is the best/easiest game programming language?

What is the overall best language and easiest?

I find html to be the easiest to code in, but I do not know what a good game language is since that is my question, lol.

Gillius

• Administrator
  • User
    • http://www.gillius.org/
Best language?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:34:35 AM »
Some years back games were typically programmed in C with some assembly, but today the game industry is very predominately C++ with possibly some assembly code mixed in (although with 3D hardware and APIs those with these skill sets are moving towards vertex and pixel shader programming).

For cell phone games programming, the industry is split between C/C++ with proprietary APIs and Java (in the J2ME with MIDP form).

The simple games that you see on the web in websites are programmed typically in Java, but sometimes in Shockwave/Flash.

It is possible to make games in almost any language, though.  In my opinion Java is an easier language to master, but if I could only know one language for game programming, it would have to be C++, because all of the best libraries are designed to work with C/C++ (Direct3D and OpenGL).

Another alternative that is coming up these days is C# and Microsoft's Managed Direct3D.  C# is more similar to Java than C++.  It allows you to use Direct3D, which is the most major API for Windows, but C#+D3D games will be very much restricted to Windows while Java is very portable to PC/Apple/Linux machines and C++ moderately portable if you use OpenGL and some other libraries.

Your choice depends highly on whether you are doing this for hobby or career.

As for the easiest/best language I feel that Java is the best platform, but I think C++ is the "coolest" if that makes sense.  I like Java mostly for the simplicity of the language and the platform that surrounds it, and that it is extremely portable.  If C++ had a similar "library" that came with it that was as extensive as Java's I'd probably like C++.

I don't consider HTML a programming language because there is no flow control, nor is there an input or output.  HTML is a document description.  JavaScript is a programming language, though.
Gillius
Gillius's Programming http://www.gillius.org/

Rowan

• User
Best language?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »
Yeah I guess, would you consider php a programming language because that is server side coding... I have seen really good games made with php, I don't mean text based games with no graphics but ones with whole worlds you can move people around in, fight and heaps of things to do. I found it really interesting atually.

Gillius

• Administrator
  • User
    • http://www.gillius.org/
Best language?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:18:51 PM »
I would like to see what you are talking about regarding PHP-based games.  PHP is a server-side language and as far as I know there are no interactive features in PHP.

Probably what you are seeing is that the PHP is generating content that links to flash or something else that provides interactivity in the browser like JavaScript.  In that case, PHP has little to do with it.

I would like to see an example of a game you think is "PHP-based"
Gillius
Gillius's Programming http://www.gillius.org/

Rowan

• User
Best language?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »
Well yeah I havn't really gone into php much so I probally wrong, most I have done is used php for a radio on a website and some counters.

I cannot find the site at the moment but will post it when I find it but it was just a character and you press left key and it moves over a block. I think it would have more languages added into it but it was just mainly clicking and typing. You couldn't shoot or anything like that. When attacked it came up in a box where you tell it to attack or defend and it was pretty much just a text based game with a box where you can move.

Thats all I know I didn't play it for long because it wasn't very good.