Author Topic: Games using GNE  (Read 5497 times)

Holomorph

• User
Games using GNE
« on: February 25, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
Ok, had to wait on this until I actually had a release with the GNE stuff in it.  Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to start a thread where people can put links to their games that use GNE.  

So here is mine:
http://balder.sourceforge.net/

Balder2D is what I'm currently working on, but the origional 3d project (which is on hold until I can get a better handle on what I want to do with it) was also using GNE.

Currently Balder2D just does the initial connection and transmits gamestate to the client. The next release should have actual network gameplay capabilities.  I'm trying to make monthly releases; so far that's been a success :)

Gillius

• Administrator
  • User
    • http://www.gillius.org/
Games using GNE
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 07:55:18 PM »
I hate to say this about my own library, but AFAIK there hasn't been any major games done with GNE.  I did come across someone who did a smaller game, though.  I am a little nervous because GNE hasn't gone through a trial-by-fire yet, but it has to happen eventually, no ;)?

If there is interest in it, I am willing to maintain a page of links to projects using GNE until GNE becomes popular enough that it becomes unmaintainable or there are too many projects to list -- if that ever happens  8).  I don't expect that to happen until the high-level part of GNE is finished though, but I haven't worked on GNE for over a year and a half really  :( .

EDIT: It would be so hot if my college allowed me to continue work on GNE (maybe a very specific module of it) for my master's thesis/project, then I can get my graduate degree and continue GNE development at the same time.  My initial goal for GNE was more research and experimental than practical, which is why I took a highly-OO and advanced C++ approach (exceptions, multithreading, smart pointers).
Gillius
Gillius's Programming http://www.gillius.org/

Holomorph

• User
Games using GNE
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:53:51 PM »
Quote from: "Gillius"
I hate to say this about my own library, but AFAIK there hasn't been any major games done with GNE.  I did come across someone who did a smaller game, though.  I am a little nervous because GNE hasn't gone through a trial-by-fire yet, but it has to happen eventually, no ;)?

heh, I'll let you know how mine goes, though it probably doesn't qualify as a "major game", since it's still a one man project, but hopefully it will give an indication if there is something seriously amiss.

If there is interest in it, I am willing to maintain a page of links to projects using GNE until GNE becomes popular enough that it becomes unmaintainable or there are too many projects to list -- if that ever happens  8).  I don't expect that to happen until the high-level part of GNE is finished though, but I haven't worked on GNE for over a year and a half really  :( .

This thread may be good enough for a little while.  I think you're right, when the high level API is done it should make GNE really slick and nice to use, then people will pick it up.  At least I hope so; GNEnet would be nice to see :P

EDIT: It would be so hot if my college allowed me to continue work on GNE (maybe a very specific module of it) for my master's thesis/project, then I can get my graduate degree and continue GNE development at the same time.  My initial goal for GNE was more research and experimental than practical, which is why I took a highly-OO and advanced C++ approach (exceptions, multithreading, smart pointers).

The high level OO approach was one of the things that attracted me to the library in the first place.  Would be sweet if you could use if for school, it's way easier to find time to work on stuff that way :D